Skip to main content

Student as I Age


When I was offered a scholarship to undergo M.S studies in the University of Montana, the USA, I was overwhelmed and looking forward to another two years of schooling in a country where I have never been. After processing all the formalities required I headed to New Delhi, India for my visa interview. Everything went well; probably “SERKHEM” (offering to deities) was playing a greater role.
Dr. Y.S. Parmar University of Horticulture and Foretry,
Nauni, Himachal Pradesh, India.
It was June and in the middle of school for my daughter and I had my tickets to US on August, 2009. It was hectic for all three of us (my wife and daughter) trying to arrange everything, right from acquiring transfer certificate of my daughter and getting her enrolled in the school in my home town (Panbang in Zhemgang Dzongkhag) and packing dry chilies to keep us moving while in the US. The day finally arrived and my wife and I headed to the US.

After having explored the area for a week and completing all the orientation and enrolment, it was my first day in the class, “Environmental social research methods”. The professor was an Australian, I could say that from his accent, and the class was more of a philosophy in social research. The first day, in school, the first class, made me nervous and shattered all my confidence that I garnered till date holding positions (exams) in the class, right from primary schooling till I completed my undergraduate in India. I thought may be my Bhutanese seniors, whom I met before my Masters, are right in stating “it was waste of our time during undergraduate, we didn’t learn anything, but masters made us capable to do on our own” (Note: Perception of few).

But, after completion of my 1st semester and 2nd semester, I realized they probably didn’t realize the base they built during their undergraduate classes. They didn’t realize the intensive course work they did, they didn’t realize knowledge they built on the subject. The only problem with my undergraduate class was, we were not taught how to write and we were not habituated to read scientific articles, instead professors dictated in the class and we wrote and studied what we were dictated by professors. We were not taught research activities, we were not conveyed the importance of research and publishing papers and articles. But, one should understand, how much will university teach during undergraduate? Probably the time constraint had a greater role to play. The only problem I have with my undergraduate is with the computer class. It is still a mystery on why we were taught “M.S. Dos and Q Basic” and not “Windows”, otherwise everything was fine. But, ultimately with no doubt in my mind, I would like to thank Government of India for scholarship and the Dr. Y.S. Parmar University of Hoticulture and Forestry for building me to what I am. Thank you.

The University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, USA.
After I wrote my thesis, defended it, read lots of papers and books I am now changed man. I can see the development within myself. I have developed the habit of critically analyzing things and criticizing the articles for good. I have taught myself to read each word and to analyze it critically. I have taught myself to read even during shitting (of-course I read car magazines that time, I am crazy about cars), do you think I am going mad?. Classes in India provided me the solid foundation of the subject I am pursuing, and US made me thinker, analyzer and critics of scientific article (not serious though). What more should I expect now, probably I am content, or maybe not as I am already starting to think on my Ph.D. I am proud (kind of blowing my trumpet) of myself as my chairperson in the Masters committee wants me to be his Ph.D. student for which he is already hunting for grants. If everything goes well I will be student again, starting fall 2013 till fall 2016. Now, that’s long way. I have realized that, with age it is difficult to study. With age I tend to think and worry on so many stuffs, which accelerate the difficulty in concentrating in my studies. It was tough year for my wife and me to stay away from our daughter. It was tough year for our daughter too. But now everything is fine and I am glad.

Above all 14th May is a commencement day of the university. Gowns are ready, gho’s are nicely pressed and folded, and shoes are well polished. I am ready to walk the “ramp” and close the chapter for now before I embark on another years of schooling.

Comments

Sangay said…
You are not alone in this venture... almost every Bhutanese is experiencing the similar experience like yours... very nice reflection... enjoyed reading... :)
Unknown said…
Thank you Sangye for visiting my blog. Much appreciated.
Thank you again.
Pema Wangdi said…
Congratulations on your completion!

By the way, the University looks breathtakingly beautiful (didn't know Montana is that beautiful!).
Unknown said…
Dear Pema,
Thank you so much. Missoula is a beautiful place to live in. The only problem I have with Missoula is, it get terribly cold staring september and stretches all the way to April.
Cheers.
jamyang said…
It's wonderful writing, good memories that you will have in your life.
Unknown said…
Dear all,
Especially who commented on my article. I do not know what might have happened but I lost all the comments I received.
It was not purposeful, i did not delete any comments guys,
Thank you all for visiting my blog.
Cheers.

Popular posts from this blog

Cordyceps

  This article is part of my thesis “Fuelwood Consumption and Production in Alpine Bhutan: A case study in Wangchuck Centennial Park, Bumthang, Bhutan). I have also worked on uses of Cordyceps in Pharmaceutical industries long time back, but could not trace out as of now. If people are interested I will try to re-write it and publish it. I have also cited references, in-case if any readers is interested to explore further. I will also try to provide papers to those who are interested to know more about the organism. What is Cordyceps Cordyceps sinensis is an Ascomycetes medical fungus with a long and illustrious history. The genus Cordyceps is mostly entomophagous flask fungi belonging to the family Clavicipataceae (Winkler, 2008). Although it is not actually a mushroom in the taxonomic sense, it has been regarded as a medicinal mushroom for centuries. The name Cordyceps comes from the Latin words “cord” and “ceps”, meaning, “club” and “head”, respectively (Holliday et al., 2005). Th

Non-Wood Forest Products (NWFPs) or Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPs)

Both Non-Wood Forest Products (NWFPs) and Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPs) refers to what is earlier known as Minor Forest Products (MFPs). The use of "MFPs" terminology has been discontinued as it seems to greatly mis-guide the produce. For instance collection and trade of Cordyceps ( Ophiocordyceps sinensis ) by high alpine dwellers and even Chirata ( Swertia chirata ) in the east (Shigkhar Lauri) contributes more than 50% of their annual earnings, which of-course is clear that these forest products doesnot justify to be called as minor. NWFPs and NTFPs are two very similar yet different terminologies adopted to address these produce of forest other than timber. In short it includes everything besides timber. Rattan Shoot In Bhutan we use NWFP and it is defined in the National Forest Policy of Bhutan, 2011as, "NWFP means resin, varnish, katha, kutch, plants, flowers, seeds, bamboo, bulbs, roots, leaves, grasses, creepers, reeds, orchids, cane, fungi, moss, medic

The Mighty Manas River and Future of "SHE"

The Manas River is a trans-boundary river in the Himalayan foothills between southern Bhutan and India . It is named after Manasa , the serpent god in Hindu Mythology . It is the largest river system of Bhutan, among its four major river systems; the other three are Amo Chu or Toorsa , Wang Chu or Raidak, Puna Tsang Chhu or Sunkoosh . The total length of the river is 376 kilometres, flows through Bhutan for 272 kilometres and then through Assam for 104 kilometres before it joins the mighty Brahmaputra River . Mighty Manas River is formed by merging two rivers, viz. Dangme Chhu and Mangde Chhu in a place called Dung-du-me brag and Un-dhala thang in Panbang.  Confluence of Dangme Chhu and Mangede Chhu  and also showing Bird eye-view of Panbang. Source: Google Earth  The river valley has two major reserve forest areas, namely the Royal Manas National Park   in Bhutan and the contiguous Manas Wildlife Sanctuary encompassing Project Tiger Reserve which constitutes a UNESCO Wo